PE and Sport Premium
We understand the benefits of exercise for both physical and mental health and encourage every child to engage in physical education.
We are very proud of our sports provision at Barley and Barkway Federation. We provide 2 hours of quality PE education every week for each child, extra-curricular sporting opportunities. We subscribe to 5-a-day Fitness, a brilliant website for children to join in with 5 minutes aerobic sessions or relaxing chill out sessions. It is a valuable resource to help break up learning time with physical activity, it keeps the children active and provides an important mental break. Each class has two Play Leaders, who help ensure that fun resources are set out at break times, children are helped to use the equipment or simply play some fun active games.
Small Stars Academy lead the children’s PE and Dance education.
Mr Dean Taylor, Small Stars: Most PE lessons involve a warmup, a skill drill to acquire the techniques and then a game to show the skills applied in the relevant situations. The children generate so much energy with their enthusiasm and keenness to learn.
All sessions are based on the objectives set out in the National Curriculum for Physical Education. Children are taught Gymnastics, Games Activities, Athletics and Dance. Within each unit children continue to apply and develop a broad range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement. They communicate, collaborate and compete with each other. They develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Extra-Curricular Opportunities and Sporting Competitions
We offer a wide range of clubs throughout the year that promote perseverance, cooperation and good sportsmanship, as well as fun! These include, football, multi-skills, and athletics clubs.
Barley Barkway First Schools Federation is part of the School Sports Partnership, this means we have regular opportunities to compete in North Herts Cross country championships, summer athletics, schoolympics, KS1/KS2 multi skills festivals, speed stacking festivals and interschool games tournaments.
Intra-school events are important to us and there are opportunities for the children to compete against each other in gymnastics competitions, ‘Dance-offs’ and sporting events.
Across all our sporting activity we strive to adhere to the 6 Key Skills and Qualities set out by the School Games Trust:
– Treat everyone equally, support each other and work together to have fun and achieve. Celebrate each other’s success. Be a good friend and a positive team player in school, sport and life.
– You’ve got to believe to achieve. Have the self belief and confidence to succeed and reach your personal best.
– Giving it 100%, putting your heart and soul into whatever you are doing and never giving up. Care about what you do and the people around you, and approach each opportunity with enthusiasm and positivity.
– With others and with yourself. Have the courage to do the right thing. Be truthful and promote fairness in every situation.
– Treating others politely and with understanding. Accepting life’s ‘ups and downs’ with grace. Respect every day, in everything you do and for everyone around you.
– Keep going no matter what. Determination is about the journey you go on to push yourself and achieve your dreams. Have the mental strength and the self-discipline to overcome obstacles, commit to your goals and keep working every day to become the very best you can be. Don’t hold back!
Living life in all its fullness. John 10
Faith - Curiosity - Wellbeing - Confidence