PE and Sport Premium
We are very proud of our sports provision at Barley and Barkway Federation. Our hard work with school sports is recognised and for the last three years we have ranked Gold in our School Games Mark application!
We understand the benefits of exercise for both physical and mental health and therefore encourage every child to fully engage in their physical education. We provide 2 hours of quality PE education every week for each child, extra-curricular sporting opportunities and we strive to ensure physical activity is woven throughout the school day. We subscribe to 5 a Day TV, a brilliant website for children to join in with 5 minutes aerobic sessions or relaxing chill out sessions. It is a valuable resource to help break up learning time with physical activity, it keeps the children active and provides an important mental break. Children love their 5 a Day routines, and return to learning afterwards refreshed and engaged. Playtimes are another opportunity to increase activity during the school day. Each class has two Play Leaders, who help ensure that fun resources are set out at break times, children are helped to use the equipment or simply play some fun active games. Children are encouraged to set themselves personal active targets and ‘Beat their Best’ every day.
We feel lucky to have expert coaches Dean Taylor and Stephen Sapsed from Small Stars Academy lead the children’s PE and Dance education. All Small Stars sessions are based on the objectives set out in the National Curriculum for Physical Education. Throughout the year children are taught Gymnastics, Games Activities, Athletics and Dance. Within each unit children will continue to apply and develop a broad range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement. They will communicate, collaborate and compete with each other. They will develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
When children reach Year 4 they will attend weekly swimming sessions at Royston Leisure Centre. All lessons are carried out with fully trained professionals. The sessions provide individual focus for the children and as they span an entire school year, the children should make excellent progress in their swimming. The swimming provides challenges and rewards accomplishments, helping the children build their confidence and sense of personal achievement.
Extra-Curricular Opportunities and Sporting Competitions
We offer a wide range of clubs throughout the year that promote perseverance, cooperation and good sportsmanship, as well as fun! These include, Football, Multi-Skills, Speed stacking, Athletics, Yoga, Archery, Running, Games and ‘Active Drama’ clubs.
Barley Barkway First Schools Federation is part of the School Sports Partnership, this means we have regular opportunities to compete in North Herts Cross country championships, summer athletics, schoolympics, KS1/KS2 multi skills festivals, speed stacking festivals and interschool games tournaments.
Intra-school events are also important to us and we are always looking for opportunities for the children across the Federation to compete against each other, from gymnastics competitions, to ‘Dance-offs’ and of course our sporting competition culminates in a fun School Sports Day, where children compete within their house colour teams to win the prized trophy and the delight of their team mates.
Across all our sporting activity we strive to adhere to the 6 Key Skills and Qualities set out by the School Games Trust:
– Treat everyone equally, support each other and work together to have fun and achieve. Celebrate each other’s success. Be a good friend and a positive team player in school, sport and life.
– You’ve got to believe to achieve. Have the self belief and confidence to succeed and reach your personal best.
– Giving it 100%, putting your heart and soul into whatever you are doing and never giving up. Care about what you do and the people around you, and approach each opportunity with enthusiasm and positivity.
– With others and with yourself. Have the courage to do the right thing. Be truthful and promote fairness in every situation.
– Treating others politely and with understanding. Accepting life’s ‘ups and downs’ with grace. Respect every day, in everything you do and for everyone around you.
– Keep going no matter what. Determination is about the journey you go on to push yourself and achieve your dreams. Have the mental strength and the self-discipline to overcome obstacles, commit to your goals and keep working every day to become the very best you can be. Don’t hold back!